This image shows the different colors of stars, mainly blue, white,
and red. When our eyes are dark adapted away from the city and other
sources of light, we can see these colors with the unaided eye.
Precision measurement of the color spectrum of stars (spectroscopy)
allows astronomers to identify detailed physical and chemical properties
of stars that are trillions of miles away.
- Title: Big Dipper Star Trails
- Camera: Olympus OM-1
- Lens: Zuiko 50mm F1.8
- Exposure: 40 minutes at f/2.8
- Film: Kodak Ektachrome 64
- Location: Little Blair Valley, CA
- Date: 23 April 2000
- Processing: Polaroid SprintScan 4000, Adobe Photoshop 6.0.1